Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Moving to the next step

Two cancer-related updates since my last post. First, my next surgery to complete the reconstruction is set for November 9. I can't wait. My discomfort has definitely lessened, but living with bowling balls in my chest is still not very pleasant. Half asleep the other night, I rolled over and said to myself, "What the hell is this hard thing in my bed? Oh, it's my breast."

Second, is starting lupron injections to shut down my ovaries. I'll get these once a month unless/until I decide to have my ovaries removed. After a month or so, I'll start taking an aromatase inhibitor. Together, these interventions will seek to eliminate all the estrogen in my body. Thus, if there are any renegade cancer cells in my body, they will not get the fuel they need. This will not eliminate the risk of a future recurrence, but it will reduce the risk.

I've amped up the exercise, starting some strength training and running. It's amazing how much fitness I've lost. It'll be important for me to get back into it for my mental health as well as to lesson the side effects of the hormone therapy (hot flashes, joint pain, weight gain, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment