Friday, September 25, 2015

Getting Back

This past week brought some much needed glimpses of my normal self. First was my return to exercise. Being an avid exerciser, it's been hard for me to miss my morning runs, workout classes, and yoga. I've been very compliant with the doctors' suggestions to take it easy, and I know my body has needed to recover, but I've definitely noticed a decline in my fitness. It's not just not being able to exercise, it's the impact the surgery--especially the reconstruction--has had on my upper body. Recall that the tissue expanders are placed under the muscle. As a result, the muscles in my chest and down my upper arm have all been impacted. It's just in the last couple of weeks that I'm able to lift my arms straight above my head, and even then, I can feel the stretch. Also, thanks to all the delicious meals and my lack of movement, I've gained about 8-10 pounds, seems to be mostly in my belly. Thank goodness for yoga pants. Sure would be nice to feel comfortable in my work pants.

Anyway, this week, I once again started getting up before the sun, and instead of running, been doing brisk walking. It's been a better workout than I expected. And I love that time before the day sets in to be outside, chat with my running/walking friends, watch the sun rise, and move my body. I'm very anxious to kick it up, but for now, I'm very happy to have this little piece of my normal life back.

The other glimpse of normalcy has been my return to work. I've actually been working from home--just about full-time--for the last couple of weeks. But this week, I started going into the office. Coincidentally, my boss has taken on a very large, high-profile assignment and asked me to help with the communications aspect. It's very interesting and exciting to be a part of it, but it's also quite intense as I get up to speed and hit the ground running. I've really enjoyed being with my team again, who are all so supportive and talented. So, going to the office has been good for me. It's also been good for my kids to see me doing all my "normal" things, but I think they're also happy that I'm not quite as busy and go-go-go as I usually am.

The only drawback is that I'm still in some discomfort. I think I'll feel much better when the tissue expanders are exchanged for silicone implants. The expanders make it feel like I have boulders under my skin, so there's no give against anything pressing against it. And the nerves in my skin are still damaged, so any fabric against my skin is very bothersome--cross between itching and burning sensation. So, by the end of the day, after being in discomfort all day, I'm pretty exhausted. OTC analgesics do not seem to help, but I am able to take stronger prescription painkillers before I go to bed. Sleep is a little hit-or-miss, but if I can get a good night's sleep, I wake up with good energy and am able to go about my day pretty normally.

So, all in all, things are going pretty well. I'm still waiting for the results of my Oncotype DX to determine the next steps of my treatment. As you can imagine, I'm anxious to get that plan mapped out and get started. Well, as soon as I hit, publish, I got an email from my oncologist. My Oncotype DX score is low, so NO CHEMO!! <happy girl wiggle dance> I'll start hormone therapy soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment